When my mom was here in May, we tackled this ‘Towel Cake’ for my cousin’s wedding. Here’s her step-by-step instructions on how to make this classic wedding gift.
Bridal Towel Cake
Here’s what you will need:
To make a towel ‘wedding’ cake you will need 4 wash cloths, 4 hand towels & 4 bath towels…decorations such as ribbon, flowers, crystals, I like to match the wedding theme & colors. The cake will be 3 tiers made by rolling the towels.
- Tier 1 fold 1 bath towel in half long ways, then fold longway again making a thick strip about 6 inches long. Roll tightly & secure with a safety pin or a string around the outside tied tightly. Once all layers are complete you will stitch the edge to hold it together.
- Tier 2 using tier 1 as your size guide roll all 4 wash clothes, then roll a folded bath towel around them…secure as tier 1.
- Tier 3 using tier 1 as your size guide roll all 4 hand towels, then the remaining 2 bath towels, secure.
- Stack the layers as you would a cake & check for sizes of the layers, depending on the sizes of your towels you may need to adjust what is in each layer to achieve the right ratio.
- Once you have the sizes adjusted, sew the end of the towel in long but tight stitches to hold the roundness of the layers.